Recent Posts

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Spicing Up Lunch for Less

For today's budget meals recipe I decided to keep it quick and easy for a light lunchtime posting....


I was flipping through a recent Good Housekeeping magazine this morning when I came across a recipe for Curried Tuna Salad. The recipe was part of a healthy meal planning article that recommended easy ways to “punch up” the creativity in your lunchtimes meals to avoid succumbing to fast-food alternatives because of the convenience. And, come on, who really wants to eat that same old boring salad day after day just to keep off the pounds?

But I must say that in reading through this recipe, at first I was a bit skeptical... apples and raisins in my tuna salad? Could I really go that far off the beaten path from my family's standard recipes? Then I thought, I haven't actually had a craving for ANY tuna salad in ….. well..... ever...... so I decided to give it a shot. I mean, could it be any worse than the gray fishy slop you always see people eating on soggy slices of un-toasted bread? (Yuck!)

[And, since the ingredients are all standard fare in my kitchen, it didn't even cost me anything to make.]

So now, after trying it, I have to admit that it was a pleasant and flavorful surprise! The curry powder, aside from adding an intense burst of flavor into an ordinarily bland dish, also added a rich (appetizing) golden color to the creamy mixture. But what was even more exciting was that the dish had a lot of texture, from the tender tuna chunks, to the creamy sauce, to the crunch of apple and celery. The dish, in summary, was complex, vibrant and an utterly satisfying lunchtime experience.

And....since I was such a big fan.....I just had to share the recipe! Enjoy!

Curried Tuna Salad
*adapted from Good Housekeeping magazine
(Serves 1-2)
1-5oz. can water-packed tuna (white or light)
1/2 Gala apple, finely chopped
2 tbsp. celery, finely chopped
2 tbsp. raisins
2 tbsp. light mayonnaise
2 tbsp. plain fat-free yogurt
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. curry powder

Mix together and serve over a bed of lettuce. It is that easy!

Per serving (based on 2 servings): 216 calories and 21 g protein

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Delicious Intentions - Blogged