Recent Posts

Monday, September 7, 2009

Sunday Brunch...... On Monday

It has been about two weeks since my last post, and I must apologize for how long it has taken me to return. While the majority of our vacation went as planned, catching up with some old friends, enjoying some amazing food, and relaxing in the sun...... it also had a few unexpected bumps. Namely, the passing of my Nana, aged 95, just three days before I was due to return home. What ensued was a rushed visit home (to Wisconsin) for my mom, and an extra few days in Western NY for Heather and I, where we took care of my younger brothers while my mother braved a funeral stocked full of relatives neither of us had seen in years. I must say.... I think we got the better end of that deal.

While I looked forward to the comforts of being back in my own space, the return home has held its own hangups, like my husband's second attempt to quit smoking, a nasty argument between him and his grandmother that might have uprooted our current living situation, and the tensions in the house that have arose as a result. So, needless to say it has been harder than expected to readjust to being home, and to restructure my routine for more productivity while seriously setting aside some time for personal growth and well-being (something that both Jon and I have been neglecting for too long).

So last night we both made new affirmations to stay focused on our goals, the most important of which right now is to save enough money before Christmas to be able to move to Seattle and start over, just the two of us and really focus on enjoying the first few years of our marriage....something that countless married (and some divorced) friends have said is a necessity that enabled their marriages to flourish (or the lack there of has destroyed). So, it feels good to have made the decision together, to agree that no matter how cheap we have to live, that this is something we need for us and so we'll have to find a way to make it work (even if it means that our evenings out are just for a stroll through the park). Now it is time to get back to work, and back into my kitchen!

This morning we slept in late (it is a holiday after all) and then I jumped right into the kitchen to whip up something scrumptious for breakfast. Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day, and something so basic but can certainly set the tone for the whole day nonetheless. So, to sweeten up the morning we started it with thick sliced french toast with a rich blueberry honey. It was certainly nice to spend a lazy morning in with my husband.... and all in all we managed to get a lot done around the house (cleaning and such), and even had a few sweet moments together. All in all, a pretty good day.

Thick Cut French Toast with Blueberry Honey
(Serves 2)

Start with five eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk until well beaten. Pour in a splash of milk (or light cream if your feeling decadent) and whisk until blended. Cut four thick slices of leftover Italian bread and coat both sides in the egg mixture. Cook over medium heat in a non-stick skillet (or with a small amount of melted butter) and sprinkle some freshly ground cinnamon onto the upturned surface of the toast. Cook on both sides until evenly browned and cooked through. Cook up the leftover beaten egg/milk mixture into fluffy scramble eggs. Meanwhile, heat some honey with a touch of maple syrup, cinnamon and a few tablespoons of frozen blueberries to a simmer and heat over a low heat for 10 minutes. Spoon out the wilted blueberry chunks and pour the honey over your french toast. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Delicious Intentions - Blogged